There are several issues related to making sure that the lead free rework process issues are dealt with properly. These are detailed on several new pages on the web site. The topics that are covered include:
The Issues Related to the Lead Free Transition
Mixed Alloy Pitfalls
Lead Free BGA Rework Process Issues
Lead Free BGA Inspection
The articles discusses how you can practically determine which assemblies are lead free and which are tin lead. Visual differentiation, analytical testing and board and part marking methods are discussed in detail on these pages.
There are several issues which need to be considered while reworking BGAs in a mixed alloy environment. The materials used in the rework process need to be controlled and segregated to help insure that the right materials are used in the rework process. There are several ways that are described in the article in detail about how to effectively control the potential for cross-contaminating lead-bearing and lead free soldering materials. Also an understanding of the potential consequences of mixed alloy assemblies is discussed.
A "recalibration" of the inspection processes and equipment needs to be included in your transition checklist for BGA tin-lead to lead free rework. This "recalibration" needs to include visual, XRAY and endoscopic inspection.
The BEST Advanced SMT class, which includes fine pitch components, small footprint chip scale components and basics BGA rework, will be held at BEST in Rolling Meadows IL on January 15th and 16th. As our first 2007 training course "special" participants registering for this class will receive 10% off.
The BEST Advanced SMT Hand Soldering / Rework Certification course is an advanced level course that provides instruction on effective techniques for the conductive and convective removal and replacement for advanced SMT packages. These include 0402, 0201 chip style parts, 20mil pitch gull wing devices, PLCC sockets, full and perimeter array BGAs, and micro BGAs. During the course, the student will be introduced to advanced SMT packaging, solder paste requirements and application techniques, BGA profiling and reflow process development and x-ray inspection interpretations for BGAs. This course is structured to be in accordance with IPC-A-610, J-STD-001, IPC-7711, IPC-7721 and IPC 7095 BGA Spec.
Call Katy Radcliff at (847) 797-9250 for more details or to register.
The BEST Epoxy Repair Kit can be used to repair lifted pads and traces as well as build up and repair edge corner damage to PCB's.
BEST epoxy repair kits are designed by artisans who have been repairing circuit boards for many years; therefore the right tools have been included in this general epoxy repair kit. The resin/hardner is pre-measured to ensure every mixture made will achieve optimum adhesion results.
BEST testing has shown by using the BEST 2-part electronics adhesive system, the bond strength of repair traces, pads, and lands equals that of the original land, pads, and traces. Even under thermal air shock conditions from "50C to 85C at 30 minutes dwell time for 200 cycles this adhesive system performed well. The same cannot be said about dry film bonding systems where the reliability of repaired pads, lands and traces did not hold up to such shocking environmental conditions.
This kit includes the following items:
Resin/Hardener, 2 gms
Please call Katy Radcliff at extension x32 if you have questions on this and other other PCB repair tools.
So you do not know what to get your favorite geek on your Chirstmas list? Well then visit the following or this to get some ideas......... Happy Shopping!!!
There are many definitions of what a "geek" is but here are some of my favorites if you do not know :
1. One who is primarily motivated by passion indicating somebody whose reasoning and decision making is always first and foremost based on his personal passions rather than things like financial reward or social acceptance. Geeks do not see the typical "geeky" interests as interesting, but as passionate devotions. So this means that someone can be a "PCB repair geek" and having a deep interst in this narrow topic. Some of them work at BEST.
2. A person who is interested in technology, especially computing and new media.
3. A person who has chosen concentration rather than conformity; one who pursues skill (especially technical skill) and imagination, not mainstream social acceptance. Geeks usually have a strong case of neophilia (a love of novelty and new things).
4. A person with a devotion to something in a way that places him or her outside the mainstream. This could be due to the intensity, depth, or subject of their interest. This definition is very broad, and allows for mathematics geeks, aviation geeks, band geeks, computer geeks, science geeks (including, among others, physics, chemistry, and biology geeks, as well as social science include but not limited to economics, psychology and sociology), music geeks (audiophile), movie and film geeks (cinephile), etc.....
5. A performer at a carnival who swallows various live animals and bugs. See etymology above.