|Dear Subscriber; |
In this last 2008 edition of the BEST newsletter the main topics include: |
We thank all of our customers for your support in 2008 and hope that 2009 brings you and yours much happiness.
Christmas means a time for fellowship, feasting, giving and receiving, a time of good cheer and home.
Merry Christmas and a Healthy Happy New Year!
President, BEST Inc
Cost-Effective PCB Repair Training |
BEST has developed a series of PCB repair videos each a few short minutes in length that can teach your repair technicians the "tricks of the trade" with respect to PCB repairs. Each training video can be played on your PC and includes video from 3 separate angles. Voice instruction guides users on the most common 7721 repair procedures with the senior instructor staff at BEST providing the techniques and instruction. Rent a few minutes of time with the best PCB repair staff in the country.
Repair videos can be purchased as the entire repair video series or individually. The topics include:
|Laser Services for Electronics |
|BEST Inc. utilizes lasers as a high precision machining tool for various electronic assemblies. BEST technicians can help you design a laser-based process or laser-machined product for the electronics industry. Whether you need to have a PCB board reworked, polyimide material selectively removed from a flex circuit or specialty heat shield precision machined, BEST is your source for this knowledge. |
Find our more... about our laser machining capaibilities.
|Pros and Cons of the Auto Bailout |
As of this writing there is still lots of debate taking place at kitchen tables, locker rooms and restaurants about the auto industry "bailout". Here are some pros and cons...
Pros - Why the bailout is necessary
- Approximately 10% of US employees are employed in the auto industry or by its suppliers/dealers. Of this, the Big three and their suppliers employ more than 2.5 million people, amounting to nearly 2 percent of the nation's work force. So by having them undertake massive cost cutting layoffs could result in a sharp spike in US unemployment and further depress consumer spending. It will virtually wipe out the Detroit economy. Supporters of the bailout say it is critical in stemming massive unemployment and downward spiraling of the US economy.
- GM, Chrysler and Ford (F) are iconic brands and letting them fail will further shatter market confidence.
- A bailout with strict conditions will allow a government mandated restructure of the US automakers and forcefully overcome resistance of the strongest union in the nation, the United Auto Workers (UAW) union, that has strongly pushed back on change to the relatively generous terms it is used to operating under.
- The pressure on the US automakers is intense and the fear of failure (or bankruptcy) is making financial institutions reluctant to lend to them and their customers.
Cons - Why the bailout is a bad move
- Throwing good money after bad. Spending billions of taxpayer dollars with no promises to reform the root causes of US automakers' chronic lack of competitiveness will end up being a massive waste of funds.
- By extending the bailout to the car industry, it will be only a matter of before other struggling sectors and industries line up for their share of bailout funds.
- It is questionable how effective government funded bailouts have been. The financial sector bailout plan - TARP - has already spent half of its $700 billion budget and little has changed in the economy which continues to worsen. While the financial sector will recover in the long term because it is more efficient, it is questionable if any amount of help will be able to help the chronically under performing US automakers.
- Some free market advocates have argued that Bankruptcy may be a more effective way for the US automakers to restructure operations. They will emerge smaller, more focused and operationally effective without using tax payer funds. The risk with this strategy is that customers stop buying cars from the bankrupt automakers and will instead turn to the viable foreign owned companies like Toyota and Honda.
|TABLE OF CONTENTS|
|Cost Effective PCB Training|
|Laser Machining for Electronics|
|BEST Capabilities Video|
|Cost of Rework Calculator|
|ASK THE EXPERT|
BEST's "Ask the Expert" column is designed to give one-one dialogue between a questioner and our master instructor Kris Roberson.Specification, processing and inspection questions are answered here.
|PRODUCTS & SERVICES|
The BEST PCB Repair Training series includes a group of 9 different professional PCB repair training videos. The techniques are clealry taught via professional narration as well as under the microscope views of "how to repair" a PCB.
BEST INDUSTRY FORUMS
This Industry forum is a discussion area where opinions are given on equipment and processes, help is given on process problems and resources for problem-solving and troubleshooting are shared.
|Reduce Your Rework Costs |
|Training Coupon |
From now until 12/31/2008 BEST is offering a training coupon for any IPC (A-610D CIT, IPC 7711/7721 CIT, and the IPC JSTD 001D CIT) CIT class which can redeemed for either:
1. 10% off OR
2. $250.00 BEST Buy Gift Card OR
3.$250.00 Coach Gift Card